Monday 5 March 2012

Coffee

Most adults, my parents included, have always told me that they can't live without coffee. That their fresh brewed cup in the morning is essential in starting their days on a bright note. This had no effect on me until it hit me on a personal level.
Suddenly, all of my close pals would go into a coffee shop and order not an iced tea or passion fruit shaken lemonade (for those Starbucks lovers) but rather a caramel machiato, vanilla latte, or sometimes take the even bolder move of buying straight coffee, saying "I love it! I wouldn't know what to do without it!" Obviously I pretended that I was into it too. At first it just looked super cool, to have that Starbucks paper cup in my hand, filled with something I didn't want to spend 4 bucks on, but it's all about the outward appearance no?
In the end, my point is that I don't REALLY like it. It's more the fact that when drinking this sour, quite weird tasting drink, I know it has the real "goods". Caffeine. Ah the life of a university student during midterms...
And maybe one day, I'll grow to TRULY like and enjoy drinking it. Either that, or everyone else will confess that they too share in my hate-the-taste but love-the-effect relationship with coffee. 

2 comments:

  1. According to some quick research I just did because I was curious, the ratio of caffeine between a cup of coffee and a cup of black tea is 2:1. I don't know how big of a coffee you usually get, but if you don't like coffee, I would tend to not torture myself and get tea instead. It's also less expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with David - I've really come to appreciate tea.
    As for the taste of coffee, it really is an acquired taste. When I first drank it, I thought it was yucky! But then when you really start to feel like you need the caffeine, it doesn't matter how bitter it tastes and then you eventually (and unfortunately) get used to it, haha.

    ReplyDelete