Saturday 5 May 2012

One year done. Now what?

One year. More like 8 months. But rounding up to one year. That was all it took for me to be completely changed. People say that first year, freshman year, at university follows the same old routine of kids getting drunk out of their minds, discovering their inner self, taking advantage of others that are high/hammered/intoxicated on who-knows-what, and well, making lots of friends and learning a few life lessons along the way. You know, "don't ever do drugs", and "know your drinking limit". Basically, you learn to not do anything in excess. Very valuable. However, my time as a first year, or as they call it in Quebec, U0, I'm glad to say, was special.
Out of the many things I learned in school, the most important thing I took out from it was the realization that I was a lazy bum. Being hit straight in the face with my first round of midterms was what gave me the wake up call that things were definitely not like high school. Not one bit. To give some visuals: high school allowed me to tan and sip on some cool orange juice, lying comfortably on the beach, until university plucked me off my sorry a** and dunked me into the cold ocean water. I guess it really taught me how to work, how to study, how to be a university student. All necessary things that needed to happen in preparation of my many more years at McGill.
Now, what made this year really special was Montreal itself. The people I have met are truly wonderful. I cannot imagine not having them in my life. My year was special because they are special. 
So. One year done. Now what? Now, this huge 4 month of a summer stares at me. Then, second year of university. I guess if I have made it this far, I can keep going for another 3 years. But then what? I know I am thinking way too ahead, but as I was coming home from Montreal, I couldn't shake off the feeling of what am I going to do with my life? I know that worrying now isn't doing anything. So what I will do is keep dreaming, hoping for the best, striving to be the best, working hard at what is given to me, and most importantly, savouring each moment of life as they come. One year feels like it's only been a blur. And yet, so much from that blur has impacted my life. Who knows how the upcoming blur of what is left of my undergraduate studies will change me. Hopefully, only for the better.
One year done. Now what? The rest of life. Come at me. I'm ready.

1 comment:

  1. Sunny did you just say ass?
    Bahahahahah, I love it. And don't be so hard on yourself. You're not lazy. I know this because you couldn't come to my movie night a few weeks ago.
    Anyway, I'm excited for the next three years. See you soon. ^_^

    ReplyDelete